The pages are still blank, but there is a miraculous feeling of the words being there, written in invisible ink and clamoring to become visible. ~Vladimir Nabakov

Friday, April 19, 2013

Colour my world

Ever since I was a little girl, I absolutely loved colour. There is something so magical about the colour palette each one is unique with it's own energy it resonates. I remember chasing rainbows and being in an absolute gaga over them. To this day, I pick up a coloured pencil and take a little time to observe it's perfection. My adore for the colour spectrum is reflected in all of my painted pieces. I have in the past been overwhelmed by the colour selections and simply had to do a piece or two with all those amazing colours visible to the eye.



And just to think, without light everything would be colourless.

Colour exists and originates in the spectrum of light. Sunlight itself is colourless. We see things in colour because it is a visual perceptual property in humans, as the various substances called pigments absorb certain wavelengths of light and reflect others. What is reflected back to the eye appears as the colour of the object. All this depends on the spectral sensitivities of different type of cone cells in the retina. "Newton observed that colour is not inherent in objects. Rather, the surface of an object reflects some colors and absorbs all the others. We perceive only the reflected colors"

The condition of colour blindness is a type of colour vision deficiency that decreases the ability or it is an inability to see colour and to perceive the colour differences in normal light conditions. It is a fault in the development of one or more sets of retinal cones that perceive colour and transmit it to the optic nerve. The genes that produce photo-pigments are found in the X chromosomes therefore males have a higher probability to be colourblind due to the fact females carry two X chromosomes and one of the two functional genes would be sufficient to yield the required photo-pigments.

I cannot imagine my life without colour. After all - it is my light!

Happy Friday lovers,

Janette

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this!!! D